Friday, November 21, 2008

Graphic

My sister left a comment and suggested that I show Megan pictures of the baby as it grows and develops because Megan thinks it is really neat to hear about it. It reminded me of this:

At my first dr. appt. they gave us a whole bag filled with "goods", about 10 magazines and a thick pregnancy book, many items about being preggo and the first few months after. So I was looking through one with the kids that night. This book was one with a real life picture of the baby in utero and talked about the development month by month. They kids really thought it was cool. We get to month 8 (the book is half on my lap half on Megans) so I turn the page to the last month and what is the picture for that month? A full picture of the Delivery Docs veiw of delivery. I mean the head crowning, half way out and out with umbilical cord still attached. Graphic! So I quickly took the book, skipped that page and went on to the baby being cleaned and a newborn. I thought I would wait until she is older and then traumatize here when she is a teenager with those pictures!

I don't know about you but I am not one to have the mirror and watch as I deliver, maybe with this last one, so it will convince me to never do it again. I know the whole getting pregnant and having a baby is just amazing but I don't want to see the down there parts of it. Anyway, what would you do? Would you let your 7 year old see those pictures or keep it until shes older? My kids seem to be pretty innocent still, they don't know about all that "stuff" that goes into creating a baby and I would rather keep it that way for a while longer yet. Tell me what you think.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Ahhh, I think I agree with you. I would wait to show the more graphic pictures. But I'm also one of those that doesn't feel the need to watch with a mirror.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Agree on holding off the graphic pictures. Our children are overexposed already, and we don't need to add to it.

I am also no fan of the mirror. I KNOW what's going on down there, and I don't need to see it. Matt also delivered both kiddos, and it's more than enough that one of us got an up close view of the action.

Chrissy Jo said...

I'm with you on not getting graphic or the mirrors bit. However, I do feel strongly that I want my kids to learn about all that "stuff" from me someday rather than some messed up kid on the playground.

Marianne and Matt said...

That's a tough one!! I guess you just have to teach them when it's appropriate for each child because they are all so different at different ages....some may be ready, others not. I'm hoping mine are NOT FOR A LOOOONG TIME!!

Angela said...

My mom is kinda eccentric. When my sister gave birth she video taped it (without permission) and then showed my then very young siblings the video, again, without permission.

yeah, my vote is for showing her as a teen. Make sure it's an HD video and the mom isn't using pain meds and screams a lot. Better yet, find a video of a mom giving birth in a taxi or at Walmart or something. When she gets married you can tell her about epidurals.

Christina said...

I think it depends on the kid. Mckinley was in the delivery room when Molly was born and it was a great experience for her. But if you don't think shes ready, then wait. You know best.

Laura Bernard said...

Hey Suzie, Long time. I know this post is outdated, now, but I just have to leave my two bits.

First, I've used a mirror with all of my deliveries and for me it is part of what makes the whole experience. To see the beginning of that little baby entering the world and my life is such an exciting, miraculous moment. Besides, all the parts and such are already exposed. Ignoring it does not change the fact that everyone in the room is looking at it. It's totally de-sexualized anyway, so who would care? (I know some people would and do, but I don't get it.)

As for kids, I wouldn't necessarily get a book out and show my kids the picture, but I'm all about being honest and open. I think often times kids don't jump to conclusions that we think they will anyway. If we say, "Thats the opening so babies can come out," that's probably all they'll care about. With most kids, I doubt it's going to lead to any questions you aren't prepared to deal with yet. But of course, as many others said, you have to know your child and gage if they can handle it.

One more thought, one irritation I have with the world is the oversexualization of nomal bodily processes, especially nursing. If boobs weren't so oversexualized, nursing in public would be no big deal, as it should be. Now, I will not try to say that the parts exposed in childbirth should be more openly exposed, BUT I do think that if we teach our children to understand our bodies in a respectful, purposeful, directed way, they ways our Heavenly Father created them with specific useful functions, at least in our own families, we may be able to combat some of the oversexualization that is all around us.