Monday, December 20, 2010

Sharing Time

I am lucky enough to be the Primary President in our ward right now and along with this calling I get to teach all the kids from age 3-11 at least once a month, called Sharing time. We have 2 groups of kids, one Junior, one Senior.

Yesterday I taught a Christmas lesson. I hung a strand of lights off the chalk board, turned off the light, had the Junior kids sit on the floor, with me on a chair and I told the Christmas story from the scriptures found in Luke. I pulled out props to have some visual aids for the kids.
I have some adorable felt hand puppets of Mary, Joseph, wise men, a sheep, and a shephard, then I used some of my kids' toys and a church picture book to show the kids more realistic photos. I loved seeing the look on their faces and to see how much these little kids already know about the Birth of our Savior.

With the older kids, some sat on the floor, some were on chairs and I used a little porcelain nativity set we have. With the older kids I actually pulled out the scriptures and read from them. They had some pretty deep, good questions....smart kids!

With both of these groups I also talked about how Christ grew up and taught us how we should live our lives, then how he died for us and was resurrected and Atoned for us.

My wonderful counselors and I then gave them a Christmas present. It was an ornament, clear, in the shape of a heart, with a little glitter inside with a picture of Jesus and then on the outside was written CTR. Which stands for Choose the Right or Christ the Redeemer.

I always love to teach the kids in our ward such basic gospel truths. I feel blessed that my Heavenly Father trusts me enough to lead, teach, and guide these young ones, along with my own 4 wonderful children.

This time of year can be hectic and crazy, but teaching these kids yesterday and hearing a wonderful talk by a great friend in church, puts the Christmas season more into perspective.
May you all have the Christmas spirit with you and remember the Birth, life and Resurrection of our Saviour, Jesus Christ!!!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks you for all that you do Suzie. Austin was so excited to tell me all about Sharing Time when he got home yesterday. He loved the Christmas Tree ornament.

Liz said...

Oh, Suzie, your Christmas lesson was so great. The kids loved it, and good job fielding the hard questions!