Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Callings

I have lived in Iowa now for almost 10 years. Can you believe it!?!? Over these ten years I have had many callings in church. Ward missionary, baptismal clothing coordinator, enrichment committee, enrichment leader, nursery worker, 1st counselor in Relief Society, Primary secretary, and 1st counselor in Primary.
I believe all callings help you in your next calling. When I moved here I was just out of Young Womens and had never been to Relief Society, so it was good to be a ward missionary. I was able to get to know investigators and get to know the people in the ward.
Enrichment gave me responsibility. Nursery gave me a glimpse of chaos! (only having Megan by then) Relief Society counselor, I more fully interacted with the women in our ward.
Then 5 years ago I was put in Primary. I had always said "Don't put me in primary, I wouldn't know what to do." Learning from Karin opened my eyes that primary was fun and the kids were so darn cute! I didn't have to teach very often, which was just fine with me. I am one of those millions out there that hate to get up in front of a crowd. Then working with Toni as 1st couns., I got even more involved with teaching the kids and getting to know them more. Teaching once or twice a month and working with teachers has really been fun.
Now is the time of year when our ward gets a whole bunch of people that move in and move out. Unfortunately, our beloved Bishop is one that is moving. :( So naturally with many changes coming I have felt something was going to change for me, too. The Bishop called me on a thursday morning and asked to come by and speak with us that night. My suspicions were right, he extended a calling. Primary President.
I have to be honest, I was very excited. I was nervous about being out of primary since I have been in so long, but I was ready for anything. I really love the children in our ward and I really have gotten use to getting up and teaching, still nervous every now and then, mostly when I look at the teachers! Sometimes I feel stressed but mostly I feel very blessed and almost a little guilty about being given this wonderful opportunity to remain in such a fulfilling calling.

So I have to say, looking back on all the callings I have had, I truly feel they have all helped me get to a point where Heavenly Father trusts me to be a leader to help teach these children the gospel and be a support to teachers. I have a very wonderful presidency alongside me that I believe with all of us working together we can do wonderful things.
Many more callings are yet to come, but for now....I am happily blessed! :)

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I have to say I was really excited when you got called to be the Primary President. You are going to do a great job.

Robyn said...

I was so happy to hear you were called as president. Our children will be so blessed by wonderful leaders!
Thanks for all you've done- and the many more things you will do!

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

You will do such a great job! I agree, being in Primary is great! I am glad I get to keep working with you!

Anonymous said...

I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! So amazing! Michael and I haven't gotten callings. The Bishop can't even remember our names nor does he asks for our names. He just grabs our tithing every Sunday and says...Thank you. That's should give us a sign that we won't be getting a calling anytime soon. Our Bishop here is no Bishop Shults or Hancock.

Just know that you are perfect for this calling. WHAT A BLESSING!

Angela said...

I'm sure it's easy to see how the Lord works with us when we're willing to serve to mold us into more capable people! The same is true for our callings as wives and mothers, I think. I'm not a bit surprised to hear about your calling! I always thought you were super responsible about your callings, like with visiting teaching. Thank you for your example!

Anonymous said...

Its strange to have siblings in such responsible callings. I don't feel old enough. But maybe someday I'll look back at my callings and see a progression like you have. What on earth am I supposed to learn from the cub scouts?! This is my second time in this calling, so obviously I didn't learn it the first time. Congrats on the calling... Its nice to see you so excited about it.